The final deadline for this year’s Halstead Grant competition is fast approaching. Applicants must submit materials by June 9th. The long Memorial Day weekend is a great opportunity to focus on your grant application and get it sent off in the mail.
The Halstead Grant awards a $6,000 prize package to a new US silver jewelry business each year. Complete eligibility details and submission guidelines are available on The Halstead Grant website.
Here are some last minute tips for those of you entering this year.
- Set aside plenty of time. Contestants report that preparing for the grant takes a minimum of several days. This is not something you can do in a few hours. Make sure you start early enough to get through the entire application. The program is designed to make you think hard about your business. Don’t rush it.
- Get input. Finalists report that they leaned heavily on friends, family, professors and small business advisors for feedback on their packets. Fresh eyes can be tremendously helpful.
- The grant is not a lottery. The applications we receive each year are excellent. If you submitted in the past and did not win you should improve your application this time around. If you submit the same packet you will get the same result.
- Presentation matters. It is not the only factor, but the way you present your company makes an impression on the judging committee. Don’t send us loose, out of order papers with coffee stains. That communicates a lot about how you handle your business. Your branding should extend to your packet’s appearance.
- Embrace the process. The application is difficult because starting a business is extremely difficult. It requires tenacity, patience, research and talent. This program gives you an advantage in the marketplace if you take it seriously. Once your application is complete you will have a clearly defined strategy for the first several years of your start-up. You will have a roadmap for your financials, production and marketing. You will have specific goals to guide your progress. Your business will be more successful because of it so take the opportunity for all it is worth!
The Halstead Grant is sponsored by Halstead Bead Inc, wholesale jewelry supplies. Good luck to this year’s entrants!